To assist regional community colleges with strategic planning and program development, the San Diego/Imperial Center of Excellence has prepared two in-depth reports, one for San Diego County and one for Imperial County, that identify and rank 11 industry sectors using various labor market metrics.
The reports present analysis by industry and occupation, in addition to sector rankings that are based on several metrics, such as number of jobs, earnings, and location quotients.
Also included are recommendations from virtual town hall meetings with representatives from K-12 institutions, adult education, community colleges, four-year universities, community-based organizations, workforce development boards, and economic development councils.
Interested in finding out which sectors employ a high percentage of workers within a certain demographic group, such as workers under 22 years old? Check out Appendix B: Demographics by Sector in each report. For each sector, the studies include demographic breakdowns (gender, age, and race/ethnicity) of the labor force and compare them to the general population in each county.
The 11 sectors analyzed in the reports are:
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Advanced Transportation and Logistics
- Agriculture, Water, and Environmental Technologies
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Education and Human Development
- Energy, Construction, and Utilities
- Retail, Hospitality, and Tourism
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)/Digital Media
- Life Sciences/Biotech
- Public Safety and Government